Friday, May 25, 2007

OLD PLACES, NEW FRIENDS

Nicholas is settling in. After sleeping over twelve hours his first night, I think he’s over any jet lag and ready to start living on Italian time. Yesterday, his first full day here we took a walk to the nature trail just outside of town, then spent most of the day inside because it was HOT!

It’s a shame that the Italian kids are in school until June 9th, but that’s the way it goes. We hoped to find some kids out and about yesterday afternoon, but no luck. Either they were doing homework, or were smart enough to say out of the heat.

Today, after Art stopped in the doctor’s office to refill his prescriptions, we headed to Orvieto. I explained the significance of the Duomo to him during the drive, and told him a little about the town and it’s other attractions I knew he wouldn’t be very interested in the Signorelli frescoes in the Duomo, but still, he was exposed to them, and I told him that maybe one day when he reads about something we’ve seen during his visit he might remember that he saw the sight in person….or maybe his curiosity will bring him back to Italy when he’s older, who knows.


After visiting the Duomo we took the Underground Orvieto tour of the caves dug out by the ancient Etruscans, and expanded by later generations. Of course he didn’t bring his camera so I snapped a few pictures for him, but he probably won’t care about the pictures as much as his parents do.  At least I’ll have proof that we showed him a good time!

We walked back to the car to eat the lunch we’d brought with us, then Nicholas and I visited St. Patrick’s Well while Art relaxed. As the son of engineers, I thought the concept of the well might appeal to him….or at least burn off some energy!

We stopped at the grocery to buy some ribs for a cook-out on Sunday. Belinda and Giacomo are coming over, and we’ll grill and talk. We drove to their place last night just to sit out on their back patio, to watch the stars come out and the fireflies light up the area.

This afternoon I was on my way to the garage to get water for the garden when two young boys walked by. “Hey guys!” I shouted to them in Italian, “How old are you? Do you speak any English?” They told me they were both twelve, and hesitantly acknowledged that they knew a little English. I know they learn it in school, but with no one to practice with, there’s not much point. I explained that my grandson was here, that he was fourteen years old, and that he knew only a few words of Italian. I asked if they had time to help him, and they said “Sure! We’ll introduce him to some other friends too!”

With that I asked their names and yelled up to Nicholas. When he stuck his head out the window I said “Nicholas, this is Eduardo and Marco. Come down and meet them.” Amazingly, he didn’t hesitate a bit, came out the door and we made the introductions in person, then the three of them took off down the street. Where they’re going or what they’re doing, I have no idea, but I know he’ll be safe, and maybe even have some fun.
………………………..

Nicholas just returned home, dropped off by his friends. I asked him if his brain was tired and he say “Yes!” I know the feeling. He said his new friends did speak some English to him, so good for them for trying. As the boys left, I asked them about the soccer game tomorrow afternoon and told them maybe we’d see them there. Life in a small town does have it’s advantages!

4 Comments :

At 5/25/2007 06:15:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I "heart"open and friendly Italians. :-) Hope your grandson has a blast!

 
At 5/26/2007 04:11:00 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

I read your latest blog about settling back in to life in the U.S Tina, and the friendly, helpful attitudes here are certainly something to be cherished!

 
At 5/28/2007 01:30:00 AM , Blogger Gil said...

Great story and pictures. Where is your Grandson from that he is out of school? The grade schools around here, CT, don't get out until the middle of June.

 
At 6/03/2007 07:35:00 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

Gil, our grandson is from KY. He may have finished a little earlier this year due to the fact that he 'graduated" from 8th grade. They usually start in mid Aug, and finish in late May, assuming they don't lose any days to snow!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home