Monday, November 12, 2007

IT'S NICE TO BE MISSED!

Over the weekend we picked olives with Belinda and Giacomo (more on that later). Being outside all day, reaching, bending, stretching, climbing up and down the steep hillside, carrying the crates full of olives from place to place, well, at the end of the day we were pretty exhausted...glad for a hot shower and an early bedtime! Guess we're getting old!

Anyway, this morning as we left the house to take the olives to the frantoio, we said hello to Armando, our neighbor, who was working in his garage. His first question for us was "Where were you Saturday night?" We of course had no idea why he wanted to know, but we told him we'd picked olives that day and were tired. Turns out there was a festa on Saturday evening...a castagne festa...chestnuts! Oh well we told ourselves, we don't like chestnuts anyway.

And then tonight at exercise class, no sooner was I in the door when four women asked at once "Where were you Saturday night?" Wow! And then I felt a little sad that we'd missed it...in addition to the castagne, dinner was served...spaghetti with sugo (sauce), and bruschetta with new oil...now THAT would have been worth staying up late for!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments :

At 11/13/2007 03:38:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara! My name is Anna C. I've been Googling Umbria for my geography class, and I stumbled upon your story about buying the house in San Venanzo, and then your blog. I searched around and saw your post about the excavations in the Summer of 2006....well, I was one of those FSU students at the dig!
Anyways, I couldn't find an email address for you anywhere, but I would love to contact you through email and chat about San Venanzo!

I look forward to hearing from you!
-Anna

 
At 11/13/2007 03:41:00 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

Anna, I've published your comment without your last name and email address and I'll contact you soon. We do have an email address listed on the "House For Sale" post, but unless you read it all the way through you'd never see it.

We missed you guys this summer! Thanks for writing, and I'll be in touch soon.

 
At 11/14/2007 01:23:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb,

This has nothing to do with your recent notes, but I have been surprised that you have not added your 'take' on the Slow Travel forum, re effects of declining dollar value.

The exchanges/questions/ notes are here:

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/862600685/m/4101003673/r/11510

and largely concern travels and tours, but the effects on the ex-pat community must be quite constraining also.

Do you have any comments on this and / or recent increases in cost of living for local residents ?

Thanks.

 
At 11/14/2007 02:27:00 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

I couldn't get the ST link to work, so I'm not sure which specific thread you were referring to.

I havn'e responded because altho the decline of the dollar affects us quite seriously, most people will still suck up a bad exchange rate for their annual 2 week vacation.

While the exchange rate may be a problem for tourists, we're affected every single day. About all I could contribute to the discussion would be my extreme disappointment that the dollar is so weak.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home