Wednesday, July 30, 2008

NOT OLDER, JUST RICHER

We celebrated Art's birthday last week, and although we're both pretty philosophical about age, sometimes we think "How (and when ) did all this happen? How did I get to be XX years old?" And so this week Art has been muttering from time to time "I can't believe I'm 62!" And he didn't mean it in a good way, as in "I'm so glad/relieved/surprised I made it to 62!".

Since 62 is the magic age when (reduced) Social Security payments can begin for the majority of us, I, for once, tried to put a positive spin on things. You're not older, your richer! I told him! He's still not buying it, but I'm trying to stay upbeat, and not express my personal (negative) feelings about the money. Not surprisingly, I'm just thinking about how much of that money will be lost in the exchange rate, my usual glass-half-empty attitude. Anyway, at least we do have additional funds coming in, or we will in September when the first payment arrives. Thanks to over thirty years of working two jobs, we're now enjoying the fruits of our...er...his, labors!

5 Comments :

At 7/31/2008 04:10:00 AM , Blogger Gil said...

September sounds like a nice time to take that trip to the Parma area! Happy Birthday Art!!!

 
At 7/31/2008 04:56:00 AM , Blogger Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Happy birthday to Art! My mom turned the magic 62 in April...which explains why she came to visit me in June :)

 
At 7/31/2008 12:57:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buon Compleanno to Art!
I have a question about the health insurance. In Italy you have free health insurance, but when you move back to the States you have to buy it since you're both not old enough for Medicare.
Also, when you visit the States, you're covered by the Italian health insurance, right?

 
At 7/31/2008 01:05:00 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

Regarding the health insurance, we still have the BC/BS coverage Art has at the PO, so when we're in the states we're covered by that, and if we have any medical bills here that aren't covered (blood work, etc) BC/BS covers those.

I don't think an Italian visiting the states would be covered by their Italian insurance...they'd have to buy a policy spcifically for vacation.

 
At 7/31/2008 09:43:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday ART!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home