Monday, October 20, 2008

IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN!

Cooking remains very seasonal in Italy, or at least here in Umbria. Despite larger and larger refrigerators in the average Italian home, despite supermercatos filled with fruits and vegetables every day of the week, many Italians still prefer to do their shopping at weekly outdoor markets or take what's fresh from their own garden. Yes, we have lettuce and tomatoes all year round, carrots, onions, zucchini, but every casalinga (housewife) knows that these things are best eaten in their proper season.

In today's modern world I wouldn't dare guess how many people still put up their own fruits and vegetables, but it's a common practice in this area. Years ago when my kids were small and I was a stay-at-home mom I used to can tomatoes in the summer, make jam from fresh strawberries, etc. Now canning tomatoes seems like way too much trouble, but I do freeze green beans since they aren't easily found (even canned) during the winter.

In the fall I look forward to the arrival of pumpkins....not to carve for Halloween decoration, but to roast and freeze for cooking with throughout the winter. Now I will confess that before I lived in Italy my use of pumpkin was limited to canned pumpkin once a year for Thanksgiving, and the only time I ever bought a whole pumpkin was to carve it into a jack o'lantern!

It wasn't that I didn't know that the pumpkin puree in the can came from the inside of a pumpkin, but I just didn't have the awareness....I just never realized how much better fresh pumpkin was...or what I could do with it besides make the traditional pie. I'm sure there are many ways to use fresh pumpkin, but now I have two dishes that are staples for my cold weather cooking: pumpkin soup and a delicious pumpkin/sausage quiche.

pumpkin_0003Last week I bought 2 nice sized pumpkins from one of the local farmers. These pumpkins are a different variety than those used for carving. The pumpkin is much thicker and meatier, and carving them can present a problem. The first cut is the most difficult, but once I have the pumpkin cut in half I can scoop out the seeds the carve each half into more manageable pieces. I then place the pumpkin pieces into an oiled pan and roast them in the oven. Not only does this make the pumpkin easier to remove from the skin, it also enhances the flavor, so it's a step well worth the time.

If you've never tried using fresh pumpkin, now might be the perfect time to visit your local farmer's market and buy one to cook with along with one for carving. Remember...they ARE different!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments :

At 10/20/2008 06:43:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Che zucche stupende! Those are gorgeous, Barb. I don't know if I have used that one or not, because I often buy chunks rather than a recognizable whole.
I've a new Piemonte cookbook and they use a lot of pumpkin and squash up there. I am a cautious user because I was made to eat mashed, boiled Hubbard squash as a kid. Be warned, forcing your kids to eat things can scar them for life!

 
At 10/20/2008 02:00:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your recipes sound wonderful, Barb! Thanks for this post. It reminded me that we, too, were introduced to pumpkin as a vegetable when we were living in Paris in the 60s, when we were given a recipe for a similar soup. (the proprietress of our local produce shop was speechless when we told her Americans made a "tarte" from pumpkins). The quiche recipe sounds yummy too. Luckily my local produce market carries a variety of pumpkins for cooking as well as those for carving.

Judy

 
At 10/20/2008 02:38:00 PM , Blogger Pauline Kenny said...

I bought a Hubbard squash this weekend at the farmers' market and oven roasted half of it - delicious. I usually make soup with squash and carrots, but will give your recipe with potato a try. Thanks for posting it!

I have been waiting for my favorite squash, Kabocha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabocha), but have not seen any yet at Whole Foods or the Farmers' Market.

 
At 10/20/2008 02:48:00 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

Gosh, you're all so ahead of me! I have NO idea about different varieties of squash.....I know about zucchini, and everything else is just selected according to color, size and shape for fall table arrangements!

 
At 10/20/2008 03:41:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a shame that most americans use pumpkins only for jack o'laterns and waste an opportunity to enjoy earth's bounty.

Thanks for posting these recipes, nothing says fall like pumpkins.

It's hard for me to get in the fall mood when it's 95 degress outside and the A/C is still running...

 
At 10/21/2008 04:25:00 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

I understnad, Linda! 95 degrees wouldn't make me thing 'fall' either!

 
At 10/28/2008 06:34:00 AM , Blogger Rosemary said...

yummm. Any chance you have a recipe for pumpkin ravioli with butter & sage?

 
At 10/28/2008 12:38:00 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

Sorry Rosemary, I don't have a recipe for ravioli....but I'd love it if someone else posted theirs!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home