Thursday, July 30, 2009

BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS!

Last weekend we celebrated Art's birthday not once but twice! On Saturday evening we drove to Panicale, a charming village overlooking Lago Trasimeno. Our friends Greg and Marguerite have a house there and were able to spend several weeks in Italy this summer. Marguerite fixed a wonderful dinner - lasagna, roast chicken, veggies and potatoes, salad and bread. A stroll around town helped to make room for the wonderful dessert they had for Art - this beautiful chocolate cake! I know Marguerite won't be offended when I tell you that she didn't make it, but discovering the new pasticceria that made this cake was definitely a find!


choc cake_0016




Auguri!




Panicale_0009




On Sunday we had a wonderful lunch at Angelino and Peppa's, Art's favorite local restaurant. Luckily I had run into Angelino at the doctor's office early in the week and told him we were bringing a group on Sunday. He told me they were going to be very busy but assured me there was still room for us. When I called to make the reservation later in the week the woman who answered the phone said no, they couldn't take us because they were full! I told her I had spoken with Angelino, and everything was okay.

It was a beautiful day, not as hot as it had been, with a nice breeze. Our usual table outside was waiting for us when we arrived. I had made a lemon meringue pie as a substitute for Art's favorite Key lime pie, and Stefano, Angelino's son graciously offered to put it in the refrigerator for me while we ate.

If you've been reading this blog for long I know that you know about the amazing quality and quantity of food that's served by here, all lovingly cooked by Peppa, Angelino's wife. Hot torta al testo, fresh pasta, home made lasagna, chingiale, meats roasted on the grill....everything was as delicious as it always is, and of the the wine flowed freely along with the conversation.

Once dinner was over Angelino came out to apologize for not having made a special dessert for Art, but I explained that I had made Art's favorite American sweet. The servers brought out the pie, and along with the leftover chocolate cake we all somehow managed to eat a few bites!



Birthday Group


We all chipped in a few euro each to buy a lottery ticket for the record-breaking €105+ superenolotto to be drawn on Tuesday. Winning that would certainly make this a birthday to remember, but even if we don't win, having such great friends to share special occasions with comes pretty darn close!



Art

5 Comments :

At 7/30/2009 03:56:00 AM , Blogger Gil said...

Glad to hear you all had a Happy Art's Birthday!

 
At 7/30/2009 07:55:00 PM , Anonymous Brad'll Do It said...

Look at the smile on Art's face... I think that says EXACTLY how happy his birthday was.

 
At 7/31/2009 04:01:00 PM , Blogger Rosemary said...

Auguri Arturo! Buon compleanno!

 
At 7/31/2009 08:38:00 PM , Blogger glenda said...

Happy Birthday Art
Barb Im glad to see you are both well,we broke a record in Ar 11in of rain in July,sorry we did not get to Italy this year, took the grandsons to Mexico, and wow it was hot-how is your weather

 
At 9/14/2009 01:03:00 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Dear Art & Barb,
Happy Birthday Art!!! I am late, I know, but I've been reading your blog and just wanted to comment. I also have a blog about our Ethiopian adoption, but before picking my 2 year old (now 3) we refueled in Rome (last August) and I thought it an absolute sin to not "hop off the plane" and see some bits of Italy before picking our our daughter 6 hours away in Africa.

But I am enjoying so much reading your adventures from the start. I cheated and read your most recent post, but I am reading it like a book and have come to tears more than once. Tears of wonder and joy and happiness that you two have done this and quite honestly, I secretly wish we could too. At the moment, I'm organizing to do a home exchange for 2 months in Italy for June/July 2010. So I'm just praying that somebody is interested in our home for this length of time who lives in Italy.

I'm in the part of your story about just arriving and your first week there. I'm imagining it is me and how I would feel ... and it is just amazing how my heart aches to do what you two have done. I can't wait for our Summer to get here and I just hope that we are there for the 2 months so that I can further imagine.

I am so enjoying this read ... you have no idea.

Big hugs from a kindred sister in Denver.

Lisa

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home