Monday, September 02, 2019

Packing For A Long Journey

This year's travels will be for 106 days, and include very hot weather, weather that might be cold and wet, and two weeks without a washing machine. Even though we've been doing this for a while, it's still a challenge to pack just enough without over-packing. Art's a bit more of a fashionista (o?) than I am, and I end up being the meanie who says “no, you can't take that shirt, you already have six”. Additionally I bring nothing that needs to be ironed. In the states it's easy because dryers are 'normal', and for most of our clothes a spin in the dryer will make clothes at least presentable, even if the creases aren't crisply ironed. While I'm not a slob, and I want to look nice, my basic attitude is that a) I'll never see most of the people I encounter on vacation again, and b) no one really cares if I wear the same 4 shirts over and over again.

I'm not going to bore you with a list of how many short-sleeved shirts, long-sleeved shirts, sweaters and pants I brought, but what I will tell you is that so far there are a few things I haven't even worn, and one thing I kind of wish I'd brought. (A pashima)

We knew our apartment didn't have a washing machine, but I also knew that most of our tee shirts are quick-dry, and that I could wash them out in the sink and hang them on the rack on our patio. What I didn't know was that the local laundromat (not that common in Italy, at least in our area until a few years ago) had machines that automatically add the detergent and fabric softener – no need to lug bottles of either every time we do laundry. Too bad I didn't find that out before I bought both on our first day of shopping!

Every other day I rinse out the tee shirts we walk in, my sports bra, and whatever else might need a quick refresh. Luckily for me I've always loved hanging clothes outside to dry, so I haven't been bothered by this at all. And although I hadn't planned to use the dryer at the laundromat, once I found out that fabric softener is added automatically is made sense to throw them in the dryer for a least one cycle - €1/9 minutes – and everything looks great! Art hasn't even used the iron once!

Once the weather turns cooler laundry might get more challenging, or at least the drying time might have to increase. The biggest challenge will be on our 2 week transatlantic cruise home, but if we arrive home with every single piece dirty, who cares? I usually throw everything into the washer once we're home anyway, just to be sure.

Last year we brought waaaay too many clothes, and I think we've been much more successful this year. If you see pictures of me wearing the same shirt, now you know the reason why.

0 Comments :

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home