Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A HOLIDAY TRADITION

My mom was a great cook, and a great baker, but she wasn't a foodie at all. I find it very strange that someone who really didn't have a passion for food could be such a good cook, but she was. Every Christmas she would start early, baking many, many different varieties of cookies for the holidays. When my daughter was two years old, she was invited to help Grandma decorate the cut-out sugar cookies, and the tradition began. Each successive grandchild could start when they were two years old, and moms weren't allowed to stay...this was a special day for grandmother and grandchildren.

Although my mom's gone, the tradition continues, and now her grandchildren have children of their own. The rules have been relaxed over the years because of this fact. and now Art has taken my dad's place as the grandpa who waits patiently (or not-so-patiently) for the first cookies to come out of the oven. My son used to 'sneak' the cookies downstairs to PaPa, but I think this year Art just claimed his right as grandpa and sampled a few while they were still warm.

I wasn't there this year (home sick with the flu), but Art captured some of the fun.....

Decorating


the finished product...

Labels: ,

1 Comments :

At 12/19/2007 11:12:00 AM , Blogger Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Fun! I wrote about generational cookie decorating today too :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home