Thursday, May 22, 2008

WE'RE HOME IN UMBRIA!

Hurrah, a happy ending! After a very long day (30+ hours) we made it from Louisville to Philly to Rome with no real problems....well, we didn't get to upgrade to Business Class, which always makes the flight home more enjoyable because of the better conditions for sleeping, but still, half an Ambien let me get just enough sleep to make it through customs and immigration in Rome and to get on the train back to Umbria!

Apparently the weather in Umbria and Kentucky has been exactly the same! The plants we set out before we left in mid-April haven't grown at all....I think they're in shock over this cold, windy, cloudy, rainy weather as much as we are. And yes, the sun does come out...usually 10 minutes before it rains (again), or just before sunset.

Oh well, in spite of the disappointing weather, sleeping in our own bed (with my own pillow!) was definitely the high point of my return, at least so far. Over the next week or so I'll share some thoughts about our trip to the states...Art actually had the Derby winner this year, and we managed to connect with a few friends and see some movies. All in all my time spent in the states was one of frustration and doubt, given the current situation. I couldn't really look for a house, or a car, or anything....yet now that I'm back in Italy, there's not much for me to do here either....I feel like I'm in limbo!

3 Comments :

At 5/22/2008 08:56:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, welcome back. Maybe your trip is a journey toward discovery of where your home is.

 
At 5/23/2008 03:28:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, hey! If you are that at loose ends, I can use some help up here. Are you saying that while you were gone someone planted everything you need this year? Someone worked every inch of your soil? Someone dug in adequate manure? Sprinkled anti-snail stuff? Pruned your roses and checked for mildew and black spot? Weeded every crack and space?
If so, that alone should sell your house!

 
At 5/23/2008 05:43:00 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

Sorry Judith, I stil have all the day-to-day chores to do! I'm not planting as much this year, but yesterday I cleaned the garden (again!) and pruned some bushes. If it ever stops raining I still need to put in a few more things.

What I feel at loose ends about are the long range plans for my life....you know what a planner I am, and it's difficult to make plans at this point! This summer I will try to relax and enjoy my likfe in Italy as much as possible.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home