Thursday, November 06, 2008

FRANTOI APERTI 2008

Last Sunday was the frantoi aperti, the day when many olive mills invite the public to sample the new oil with bruschetta and other goodies. We started off in Trevi where the piazza was filled with vendors of oil, cheese, fruit, vegetables and other food things to eat. I took the opportunity to buy more celery, and the man told me to use the inner, white stalks of celery as an antipato with the new oil and a little salt. As usual, the simplest things are the most delicious!
Trevi Olive Oil

As we tasted one of the oils in the piazza a woman walked up and I realized I knew her, or at least knew who she was. I couldn't remember her name, but I asked her "Are you from Philly, and do you have a restaurant in Foligno?" When she answered "Yes", I introduced myself and told her that I read her personal blog as well as the one she writes for her restaurant in Foligno. The restaurant is called Basiliko, and I'm hoping to check it out soon.

I also have Jennifer marked as a contact on my FLICKR PAGE. Whenever one of my contacts posts new pictures the thumbnails are posted on my Flickr homepage. Imagine my surprise I saw Halloween pictures of Salvatore, the chef who's restaurant we'd visited the night before! (Salvatore's restaurant is also in Foligno, and believe me when I say that experience will take a post all it's own!)  Jennifer told me she used to work for Salvatore, so the world just gets smaller and smaller!

Olive oil urn_0008At one of the frantoi, GAUDENZI, we found this ceramic olive oil container, complete with matching saucer and pitcher for catching all the spills. I'm still considering going back to buy this, but I have to figure out where I could put it. It's so beautiful it needs to be on display, but it also needs to be in a place where it won't be bumped. What do you think....should I buy it? The complete set is €120....quite a splurge for me, but I just keep thinking about it......

We ended up driving to three frantoi rather than waiting for the bus, and in addition to new oil we also bought some of the olive liqueur that Wendy and Art like so much. Loaded with fresh veggies, some cheese, new oil and some spirits we headed home via the scenic route, enjoying the beautiful fall day.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments :

At 11/07/2008 02:12:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb - that olive oil container is absolutely gorgeous. I think if you can figure out a place to put it where it can be enjoyed but not bumped, go for it. It's wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, and you will be mourning it five years from now if you don't get it.

Judy

 
At 11/07/2008 10:17:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you should definitely buy this beautiful piece! Not only is it useful but will always be a reminder of your time spent in Umbria.

 
At 11/07/2008 11:20:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb, you MUST buy that olive oil container. Speaking from experience, you will be so mad at yourself when you return to Louisville and don't have it! 25 years ago when I was living in Rome, I didn't buy a beautiful and unique piece of jewelry and I have regretted it to this day. When I went back a few days later to buy, it was gone. So buy it! It's only money and it's meant to be spent! The container is a thing of beauty and will be appreciated for generations in your family. (If it ever breaks, you can turn it into a mosaic tile piece and still enjoy it!) :)
LMichelle in Louisville

 
At 11/07/2008 02:14:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb - You didn't describe what fresh, just out of the mill olive oil tastes like. I think you should try to do that for your readers.

 
At 11/08/2008 10:32:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

That's what I have to keep telling myself over and over again. My papa e mamma always seem to cook sooo simple and "voila", it tastes incredible! That's one of the things I love about Italians and their cooking style. The simpler, the better.

 
At 11/09/2008 12:02:00 AM , Blogger Diane said...

Barb--buy it! I have a stainless steel 5-liter oil container on my counter--more practical but UGLY in comparison. I think it cost at least 50 Euros and it doesn't have the matching pitcher and saucer. It would be a beautiful piece for your kitchen. Can't you clean a space on your counter? It's worth it!

 
At 11/13/2008 09:45:00 PM , Blogger Sandrac said...

Barb, that really is beautiful and unique!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home