Saturday, May 30, 2009

WE'RE HOME!

Yes, after two months in the states we're finally back home! Can I just say how great it is to sleep in my own bed? As an added bonus the weather has turned cooler here so those flannel sheets I left on the bed are just great to snuggle up in!

The flight back was uneventful and we arrived in Rome around 8:30 in the morning. We took the train to Tiburtina, then to Oriveto (because it's so much cheaper than going through Termini!) and arrived in Orvieto just before 12:30. Our friend Giacomo was waiting to pick us up and we were home just after one o'clock!

Of course I immediately started to unpack. It's so nice to come home with clean clothes instead of dirty laundry, so all I had to do was unpack the clothes and take them upstairs to be put away. Tackling the rest of the stuff wasn't too bad either. I put everything that belonged in the kitchen on the table and everything that needed to go upstairs on the big leather chair. Once the suitcases were empty it was simply a matter of finding a place for everthing.

And what did we bring back? Well, lets see: some Karo syrup, smoked paprika, ranch dressing mix, salsa mix and Splenda to go with the decaffeinated tea bags. Taster's Choice instant coffee in both regualr and decaf for Art (I mix it so his coffee is only 50% caffeinated). Ghiradelli chocolate chips, light brown sugar, pecans and Criso sticks for baking. Bettter than Boullion. Craisins and bacon bits, both for salads.

Vitamins and supplements like calcium, fiber and DHEA. Baby aspirin. Contact lens solution - I use Clear Care and I've never seen it here, along with a supply of contact lenses. New glasses for both os us. A tube of Neosporin. Hair color (for me). Some Rolaids. Replacement heads for our Sonicare toothbrush.

Ink cartidges for the printer. A few new clothes and a new pair of shoes for each of us. Some magazines and few books. And of course the thing you'll find in every American expats luggage: ziplock bags!

The first night we managed to stay awake until 9:00 p.m. then slept for about 12 hours! On Friday we picked up the mail, went to the grocery and enjoyed hearing "Ben tornati!" (welcome back!) from every one we saw. Today we visited the local farmers market in Marsciano for some fresh veggies, then stopped at the farm supply store here in San Venanzo for a few flowers and herbs. After getting those planted it was time for lunch and somehow life in America seems very, very far away. It's good to be home!

4 Comments :

At 5/30/2009 04:16:00 PM , Blogger Mr Murray said...

Welcome back, you missed some of the hotter weather. It's so funny about the Zip-Lock bags ... I brought a bundle back on my last trip as well. Are craisins dried cranberries? I realized too late that some Duncan Hines cranberry muffin mix I found here was costing me around €6.50. For the Crisco, I have learned to save lard drippings when cooking instead.

 
At 5/31/2009 02:13:00 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

Yes, craising are dried cranberries, and I've just discovered them recently.

I don't mind lard for a quiche pie crust, but for a sweet pie crust I definitely prefer Crisco. Oh, and I need the Crisco to make bisquits too!

 
At 6/04/2009 10:53:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs - have been keeping up for about a year now. (What a great view on life in Italy!)
My family is getting ready to travel to Italy in July for the first time - to visit my husband's homeland and expose the kids to a different culture than US. Look forward to adventures in Italy.
Arrivederla, Denise

 
At 6/04/2009 12:59:00 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks Denice, have a great time when you're here! And no need for the formal arrividerla - being Americnas we're pretty informal!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home