Friday, August 21, 2009

GARLICKY BREADCRUMBS

I know you’ve read countless times about how much I love the simplicity of Italian cooking. Fresh ingredients are the key, of course, but every once in a while I run across some little tip or trick that seems oh-so-simple but of course I’d never thought of it.

Our friend Letizia, who lives not far from Assisi, is Italian, and not surprisingly, a great cook. I don’t know where she finds the time, but she writes a food blog called MADONNA DEL PIATTO. Recently she wrote about breaded pork cutlets, and the recipe included a link to her recipe Garlicky breadcrumbs.

When I lived in the states I usually had a can of breadcrumbs on hand, and of course, being the U.S., there were a variety of choices: you could have plain bread crumbs or breadcrumbs seasoned with different herbs. Here in Italy I also have breadcrumbs on hand, but I make them myself. The saltless Umbrian bread stales quickly, so if I end up with more than I need I cut the bread into croutons or grate it into crumbs and store it in the freezer.

Why I never thought to pre-season my homemade breadcrumbs is beyond me, but when I saw Letizia’s recipe for seasoned breadcrumbs, I just said “DUH!”, and immediately wrote down the recipe for immediate inclusion in my collection! Here’s the recipe for here Garlicky breadcrumbs, but be sure to click on her link to get more great ideas for using this simple and tasty kitchen staple! Buon Appetito, and grazia Letizia!

Garlicky Breadcrumbs

2 cups (300 gr) bread crumbs
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, very finely chopped
black pepper to taste

Store in the freezer in a zip-lock back or other freezer container.

If you’re interested in staying with Letizia, here’s the link to her
AGRITURISMO and if you’d like to take cooking lessons with Letizia, click on that link! The views from the agriturismo are incredible, and I can guarantee you’ll take home some delicious recipes from her cooking lessons.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments :

At 8/21/2009 10:19:00 AM , Anonymous janie said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe-I'll be making these!

 
At 8/21/2009 10:23:00 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

Be sure to use the breadcrumbs to make the breaded pork cutlets!

 
At 8/24/2009 10:55:00 AM , Blogger letizia said...

Hi Barb, thank you so much for this nice post! I am so pleased you can make a good use of one of my recipes. Sometimes the most obvious things are great problem solvers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home