Thursday, September 29, 2011

INDECISION!!!

Okay, so I always drive myself crazy, trying to think of every possible scenario for whatever it is I'm planning.  Should we travel north to south, or would it be better if we travel south to north?  Time of year, holidays, weather patterns and more can make these legimate questions.  So can trying to arrange your stay so that any holidays and/or Sundays are used wisely.  Since many (most?) tourist sites are closed on Sunday, that can be a great day to be on the road - but if you're traveling by train there might be reduced service on Sunday.  And unless your picking up at the Rome airport, it probably won't be possible to pick up (or drop off) your car on a Sunday. 

Of course there are other concerns, like trying to beat the crowds.  EVERYONE wants to be on vacation for the best weather, coolest scenery and moving historical re-enactments, so yes, it can be a juggle.  And don't forget that the fact that EVERYONE wants to be there at the same time also means that prices go UP!  If you want to go during (traditionally) cold, rainy weather when it's dark by 5 p.m., you can save a bundle!  But there's that trade-off! 

I AM cheap cheap cheap, and damn proud of it, but I'm also incredibly ambitious when it comes to traveling.  I really do want to see and do everything, PLUS I want to stay in a great hotel located right in the centro!  So trying to decide just how close to high season I can get without actually paying high season prices.  I'll probably never see fields of sunflowers in Italy again because the airfare is always going to be crazy in the summer.  Another trade-off. 

Finding a great place to stay at a reasonable price is my second biggest challenge, right after finding a decent airfare with a reasonable itinerary.  It takes a lot of searching just to find ONE of those, and finding them together is like finding the needle in the haystack.  Car rental in Italy is terribly, terribly expensive, and many people fly into France or Germany, rent a car, then drive into Italy!  That they make you pay for the privilege of being tail-gated, cut-off and scared for your life makes it even worse!  SO........

Those are just some of the reasons I'm starting to question our plan for Italy and Slovenia next spring.  Should we wait until fall (September/October), when the weather will (possibly) be warmer?  When the days will be longer and there will be more festas and sagras, and more friends around?  I think we're both so anxious to get back to Italy that we just want to go as soon as possible - but that might not be the best time!  Maybe I'm just getting freaked out by the money - but with airfare hovering around $900 each, car rentals costing about $300 per week, and hotel costs of at least  $100 per night, probably more, my heading is ringing with all the cha-chings

Either old age is turning me into a travel chicken or the travel gods are trying to tell me something by putting all these doubts in my mind.  Either way I'm just going to wait, and try not to think about it at all.  Yeah right........

3 Comments :

At 9/30/2011 12:26:00 AM , Blogger Lee Laurino said...

i have ready your blog for months, and it is written by a woman who wants to go "hometotialy"

 
At 10/01/2011 12:57:00 AM , Blogger Melissa Keith said...

Hi Barb - I was just reading Pauline Frommers Blog and she wrote about some great car rental deals in Europe. Maybe one of these might help you in your planning. http://paulinefrommerbriefing.blogspot.com/2011/09/european-rental-car-deals-for-fall.html

 
At 10/01/2011 05:52:00 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks Melissa!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home