Thursday, February 03, 2011

PIEMONTE - BAROLO

Barolo 043

When planning our trip to Italy we knew we absolutely HAD to visit the Piemonte region. This northwest region of Italy is known for its wines – Barolo, Barbera, Barberesco and Asti Spumante are four that immediately spring to mind. And what do you need for all that wine? Why vineyards of course! And what’s more scenic than acres and acres of vineyards sprawling over rolling hills? And if there are mountains in the background and medieval villages in the foreground, you might say the area is pretty damn scenic, or you just might say it’s PIEMONTE!



Wow! This area is so gorgeous that it’s hard to drive anywhere within the ‘expected’ time since you keep stopping to take photos! We were lucky enough to be in Piemonte in the fall when the crowds were a little lighter and the grapevines were just starting to change colors.

One day we took a trip to Barolo. The castle still sits on the hill, surveying vineyards for as far as you can see. The medieval village is still small and not overly touristy (whatever that means!). My only disappointment of the day was the relatively new wine museum inside the old castle. I found the displays rather boring after a while – I mean who but an wine expert or a farmer wants that much information? Additionally, in making the museum they covered up any trace of the medieval castle! Personally I’d rather see the intact medieval castle and do without the wine museum at all.

One of the BEST things about the town of Barolo is the regional enoteca. There are regional enotecas sprinkled all over Piemonte and this is where you can taste the local wine(s) from a variety of producers and get lots of good information about the wine, from basic stuff like what varieties are used in the making of a wine to more detailed info like what direction a specific vineyard faces.

Here’s a slideshow from our day in Barolo:



5 Comments :

At 2/03/2011 02:58:00 PM , Blogger Constance said...

Art and Barb,

I am the fellow Kentuckian who lives part-time in Pietralunga in Umbria. We corresponded by email sometime ago but I lost the contact info. My blog is http://experiencemyitaly.blogspot.com/
I am new to blogging and trying to let everyone know that I am out there. I would appreciate it if you would check it out when you can.

Constance

 
At 2/04/2011 06:40:00 AM , Blogger Rosemary said...

Beautiful shots of the vineyards and scenery!!

 
At 2/04/2011 10:15:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh so wonderful sights! I want to go there as soon as I can.

Patience

 
At 2/06/2011 07:07:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know waht you mean about those vistas - I think Paul got sick of me pulling over. I don't think that the wine museum was finished when we were there but the corkscrew museum was - what fun!

I'm looking forward to re-visiting some of our favourite areas in Piemonte in the fall.

 
At 12/27/2012 09:01:00 AM , Anonymous Hotels in Lido di Jesolo said...

You made a great choice. This destination is perfect for a vacation!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home