Thursday, July 22, 2010

FAMILIAR SIGHTS

We've been pleasantly surprised with our re-entry into the United States. Of course there have been a few surprises along the way, like seeing fields of poppies in bloom while driving to North Carolina, or attending free weekly concerts that remind us of the many sagre we used to attend in Umbria. Yesterday I 'chatted' with the mayor of San Venanzo after she saw that I was on Facebook at the same time she was.

We bravely tried the gelato here in Pensacola, but honestly, if you're going to freeze it as hard as ice cream, why even bother to call it gelato? I've been SHOCKED at the price of produce at the local farmer's market - THREE tomatoes for $5 - seriously???? Once again, my statement that the food would be what I miss the most about Italy has proven to be true. I guess there's no point in looking for a porchetta truck, is there???

According to my countdown clock we have 57 days until we leave for Italy. I guess this transition isn't quite as easy as I had imagined.....

4 Comments :

At 7/22/2010 06:55:00 PM , Anonymous jane said...

Ciao, Barbara
Your last sentence rings so true. It is nice to return to the states where everything is comfortable and familiar but the soul has been touched in many ways after being in Italy for an extended time and so there remains a nagging longing for the joys that are found there. The good part is that the knowing that you are going back sustains. I'm glad you are blogging again.

 
At 7/23/2010 02:59:00 AM , Blogger Gil said...

Glad to hear you are going back for a visit. We have been having trouble finding non-stop tickets from JFK to Naples for September. It appears that I started too early and now they are all gone! Next year you will have to have your own tomato plants.

 
At 7/23/2010 08:41:00 AM , Blogger Rosemary said...

Jane's comment says it so well! A nagging longing indeed. I too miss the food. But I have to tell you that we attended a pig roast recently in our neighborhood and it was pretty good - although NOT porchetta! Keep looking for the little pleasures and enjoy your visit back to Italy.

 
At 1/14/2011 07:47:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Porchettas on G and Garden Street has Porchetta Sandwiches.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home