Monday, March 22, 2010

PACKING

Along with the excitement of beginning a new chapter in our lives comes the drudgery of tasks like cleaning and - ugh! - packing.  As I mentioned previously, we've lived in this house longer than any other.  One of the advantages of moving is that things get cleaned out.  That drawer, or closet, or basement, or, God forbid all three, that you've just kept tossing 'stuff' into finally gets to see the light of day.  Rather than finding something I thought I'd lost, or maybe even a few coins, all I've been finding is stuff I don't want, don't need, and don't know why I kept in the first place.

Even after weeding out the junk, getting rid of the clothes that don't fit and making tough decisions about what stays and what goes, there are STILL boxes piling up in the garage, each carefully marked, thoroughly sealed and waiting for the movers.  At this point I've packed just about everything I can - we still have to have clothes and dishes and pots and pans up until we leave the house - but it's frustrating not to have anything else to pack.  At least it was giving me a project to help pass these last few weeks - and to keep me from thinking about how sad it will be to leave this house, this town, this country.  Good thing we already have our tickets to come back in September!

Labels: ,

7 Comments :

At 3/22/2010 09:04:00 PM , Blogger Rosemary said...

I can imagine your being split emotionally on leaving. I know how hard it was for us to leave and we were only there two years - each place we had to leave was heartbreaking! I was going to tell you about how Bob packed before we left - every box had a list of everything that was in it - EVERYTHING - and it was all numbered and crossed referenced. I thought he was nuts until we got home and knew exactly what box EVERYTHING was in! But it sounds like you are almost there. I know how organized you are!

 
At 3/23/2010 03:06:00 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

We had to number each box and list it's contents when we moved here, so I do know the benefits of having each box well marked!

 
At 3/23/2010 03:31:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's strange that you are leaving as we are coming. Good luck on your next life venture. Happy travels.

 
At 3/23/2010 07:43:00 AM , Blogger Judith in Umbria said...

I had a huge auction of what I would not move, contributed tons to charity, and still moved 6200 pounds. My advice to movers is not to take anything about which you say, "I might..." You either do or you don't need it.rale

 
At 3/23/2010 08:39:00 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

In retrospect I wish I had shipped MORE, not less. Much of my American style furniture would not have worked here, but there ARE things that, if I knew then what I know now, I would have brought with me.

 
At 3/24/2010 10:19:00 AM , Blogger LindyLouMac said...

Just back from Hong Kong and catching up on blog reading.
Congratulations on the sale of your house, I know it has taken a long time.
All the best with your next adventure.

 
At 4/08/2010 02:45:00 PM , Anonymous Giovanni said...

Cari Barb and Art, what mixed emotions you must be experiencing now upon your imminent return to Stati Uniti. It's been about 3 years since my first and only trip to Toscana and my spirit and joy are still there. I've got a little over 2 years left before I can retire and move to Italy and each day, it's all I can think about (even at work): learning the language. and studying all the move-related processes, so I can finally make it to Bella Italia. Congratulations on selling la vostra casa and a curiosity question....after all those years in Italy, are you both fluent in Italian?...I'm finding that learning the lingua is quite dificle! Buona Fortuna with your move back to the US...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home